Touches of color like pale pink make a walk-in feel more like a room and less like a closet. #ThursdayThoughts http://t.co/AS2IAzZmoV
We’ve talked about the benefits of feng shui organizing before – how the ancient practice can be used to create a happy, healthy, and harmonious home.
Those same principles can be applied to your closets so you can feel serene and calm when you open your closet doors!
Feng shui practitioners believe that the placement of our belongings can either detract from or optimize our health, creativity, prosperity and more.
The First Step is Always Decluttering
First things first: make way for the new, get rid of the old. The average person only wears 20% of their wardrobe. Declutter that 80% and you’ll have a closet you enjoy choosing outfits from.
1. Have a one-person fashion show. Try on everything. If it doesn’t fit, get rid of it. If it’s out dated, get rid of it. If the color does nothing for you, get rid of it. If you haven’t worn it in the last two years, get rid of it. Donate these items to someone who will love them and wear them!
2. Be brutally honest with yourself. Separate the clothes you absolutely love from the maybes. When letting go of the old clothes you haven’t worn in years, the ones that no longer fit or the awful colors that do nothing for your complexion it will make you and your closet feel lighter, clearer and ready for spring.
3. Have a swap party with your friends. Don’t forget to check out your local consignment shops. Getting rid of old clothes you’ve spent a lot of money on will be hard, so why not sell them and get some of that money back? What you don’t sell you can donate to your local Goodwill.
Feng Shui Your Closet
Now that you have purged and decluttered, it’s time to apply feng shui principles to your closet. Here’s how:
Step 1- Place your clothes in this order, going from left to right, to creative a positive energy flow for each category.
- Prosperity- Your work clothes
- Family/Friends- Casual wear, clothes you wear on the weekends or with your family
- Creative- Wardrobe items that enhance your creativity
- Success – Formal wear
- Love- Clothes that represent love in your life, e.g. wedding dress, lingerie
Step 2- Once you have your clothes in the right categories, arrange them in color order, from left to right: Black, brown, blue, green, purple, red, orange, pink, yellow, white, metallic, grey.
Step 3- Place them from long sleeve to short sleeve or vice versa depending on your preference.
Step 4- Make sure you have all matching hangers. This is the last step – but oh so important – for the look and feel of your closet.
You will feel a huge sense of relief, order and excitement after feng shuing your closet. When you look and feel great in what you are wearing your energy will be better and your power of prosperity will increase.
Tell me in the comments – do you use feng shui principles to organize your home?
Jessica Ballesteros is a design consultant with California Closets San Francisco. She has worked as an interior designer and sales design consultant since 2001. The best part of her day is providing solutions for her clients that simplify their lives.