We know how to show off your prized possessions. #TuesdayShoesday http://t.co/aUc3wGXuQ2
The 7 Secrets to Smart Organizing
I’ve been designing custom storage systems at California Closets for over twenty years and in that time I’ve figured out some of the best ways to get and stay organized. These simple steps go a long way!
Here are my 7 secrets to smart organizing:
1. Motivating Music: Cleaning and organizing always seems more fun if you’re energized by your favorite songs on your iPod. (Or check out our Spring Cleaning Playlist!)
2. Rotate Décor: This is the best way to change the look and feel of a room without spending a dime. By rotating your décor, you’re able to de-clutter and enjoy seeing “new” things every few months.
3. Deep Clean Your Cabinets: The kitchen is the heart of most homes and tends to collect clutter in cabinets and drawers. Take a weekend day and empty each cabinet, hold yourself to the two year rule and whatever you haven’t used, donate.
4. Purge the Personal Stuff: Your style has changed quite a bit since you were in college so purge your wardrobe of the things that you no longer love or wear, and make room for something that expresses the current you.
5. Divide and Conquer: Since we all have those kitchen, desk and bathroom drawers that drive you crazy with clutter, take an afternoon to insert drawer dividers into each troubled drawer.
6. A (Little) Arms Distance: In kid’s rooms, make sure shelving is no more than 10 inches tall to prevent stacks of clothing that are too high and can topple over when little arms are trying to pull something out.
7. Organize Visually: You always want to think about what you are trying to accomplish in your design scheme visually. If it’s a tea cup collection, for example, you could design the tea cups by color scheme, by size, or maybe create depth by alternating with small and large cups. You also want to categorize in some way.
What’s your secret to smart organizing? Tell me in the comments!
Know someone who would benefit from these tips? Share this article with your friends and family!
Ginny Snook Scott is the chief design officer at California Closets. She has over 25 years experience with California Closets and has helped over 1,000 clients create custom closets and organize their home.